1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Special-Needs Planning
  4.  » Third-Party, Self-Settled And Pooled Trusts

Setting Up Your Specialty Needs Trusts Correctly

Medicaid and Social Security benefits are available for people who need financial assistance. However, in order to be considered “in need,” a person must have less than $2,000 in assets. A special-needs individual who receives an inheritance from a well-meaning parent or grandparent could be disqualified from receiving benefits.

With effective special-needs planning, you can take comfort knowing you have performed a thorough investigation and planted measures to protect your assets and the financial well-being of your loved one. An experienced Dallas third-party, self-settled and pooled trusts lawyer can help you protect the best interests of your family members. Livens & Reed, PLLC helps individuals throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex create the most effective special-needs trusts.

Determining The Best Trust For Your Needs

A trust is a form of ownership of property, whether real estate or investments, where one person — the trustee — manages the property for the benefit of someone else — the beneficiary. The trustee must follow the instructions laid out in the trust agreement as to how to spend the trust funds on the beneficiary’s behalf — whether and when to distribute the trust income and principal. We help individuals create trusts, including:

  • Third-party trusts: With a third-party trust, one person creates funds for the benefit of someone else. Third-party trusts are created for a parent who has a special-needs child, or one spouse whose spouse is disabled.
  • Self-settled trusts: Self-settled trusts are also referred to as first-party special-needs trusts because the beneficiary creates the trust for him or herself with his own money. These trusts are used for individuals who are disabled, who are coming into an inheritance or who are receiving proceeds from a personal injury or medical malpractice claim.
  • Pooled trusts: In some situations, if the size of the trust is insufficient to justify hiring a professional trustee, a pooled trust can be used. Pooled trusts must be managed by a nonprofit association. Upon the beneficiary’s death, the state does not have to be repaid for its Medicaid expenses as long as the funds are retained in the trust.

A Special-Needs Trust Lawyer Serving You

If you are interested in discussing your situation with an experienced attorney, contact our firm online or call 800-569-2663 to schedule your free initial consultation.

Prac Esta

Estate Planning

Prac Asse

Asset Protection

Prac Spec

Special Needs Planning

Prac Medi

Medicaid and Elder Law

Prac Vete

Veteran’s Aid & Attendance

Prac Prob

Probate & Estate Administration